Live-in Care 0800 0121 247 Careers 0800 2100 149 Mon - Fri 08:00 - 18:00

Search form

Text Size

Funding for Live-in Care

You are here

Do I qualify for funding?

Will you or the State pay for your care?

First you will need to have a ‘needs assessment’ from the local authority. If you are then deemed to have qualifying needs, the State may provide some financial assistance.

State Assistance for care is means-tested through a financial assessment by your local authority - taking into account the value of your property, savings and other assets (your capital).

There are different upper and lower capital limits in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland – see the table below for more information.

If your assets, including your property, are less than the lower limit of £14,250 in England, then the State will pay for 100% of your care. Although, you may be expected to make a contribution if you receive certain benefits or any income. 

For Live-in Care funding determination, your property should be excluded because you will be living in it.

 If your assets are more than the upper limit of £23,250 in England, then you will normally be expected to pay for your own care in full.

  England Wales Scotland N.Ireland
If a person’s assets are more than the upper limit, they must pay for their care in full
Upper Limit £23,250 £24,000 £26,250 £23,250
Lower Limit £14,250 £24,000 £16,250 £14,250
If a person’s assets are less than the lower limit, their care will be paid in full by the local authority.

There is a reducing scale of support between the lower and upper limits of £14,250 and £23,250 (in England), based on a person contributing £1 a week for every £250 in assets over £14,250. E.g. someone with assets of £18,000 would be expected to contribute £15 a week (£3,750 ÷ £250 x £1 = £15) towards care.

If you are above the upper capital limit and you need to pay for your own care, there are several ways to cover these costs.

Even if you are paying for your own care, there may be some non means-tested benefits and allowances for which you are eligible. 

Benefits and Allowances

Financial Assessment for State care funding 

In order to determine if you are eligible for State care funding, the means-testing by the local authority will look at most assets and savings held in your name, including:

  • Bank and building society account
  • stocks, shares and most investment products 
  • national savings and premium bonds 
  • income from State, personal and occupational pensions 
  • property and land (less any mortgage). 

Jointly held assets are usually divided in two to calculate an individual’s share, regardless or who contributed the most. 

For example, John and Barbara have a joint bank account with £40,000. John contributed £9000, Barbara contributed £31,000. For the purposes of means-testing the amount is divided in two, so John is deemed to have £20,000 and therefore to be over the lower limit of £14,250 and will have to pay for most of his care.

 Some assets are not included for means-testing:

  • Property that continues to be inhabited by yourself, a partner, dependant or certain other parties.
  • Value of life policies
  • Some compensation payment held in trust or by the courts
  • Some investment bonds with a life assurance element (check with your provider) 

Benefits and Allowances

There are several benefits and allowances to help those requiring care.

Personal Expense Allowance

People who have their care fees paid by the State are allowed to keep a small allowance from their pensions for their own personal use:

England Wales Scotland N.Ireland
£24.90 £26.50 £25.80 £24.90

Find out more

0800 0121 247
(Mon-Fri 8am-6pm)
Care Assessment
Book a free home visit
Brochure Download
For further information
Careers in Care Start Your Future Now

"If you like it you'll love it - you just have to give it a go!"

Sarah from Brighton

Care Assessment